A suspect has been arrested in connection to the four homicides earlier this month in Douglas County and South Reno.
Wilbur Martinez-Guzman, 19, was arrested at 4:30 p.m. Saturday in Carson City and is being held there on charges related to burglary and possession of stolen property, and charges related to his immigration status.
At a news conference Sunday, authorities said murder charges should be following soon
Authorities stressed that Martinez-Guzman’s arrest should bring relief to a community that’s been on edge since the string of killings started last week.
Connie Koontz, 56, was found dead inside her home in Gardnerville Ranchos on Jan. 10. On Jan. 13, Sophia Renken, 74, was found dead in her home about a mile away.
Jerry David, 81, and his wife Sherri, 80, were found in their South Reno home on La Guardia Lane Wednesday afternoon. Both died from gunshot wounds.
“We felt it was important for the public to know that we are confident we have the person responsible for the La Guardia Lane homicides as well as the homicides in Douglas County,” Washoe Sheriff Darin Balaam said. “The information we have now indicates there are no outstanding suspects at this time, but the investigation is still ongoing.”
Authorities did not say what connection there might have been between the suspect and victims.
Carson City Sheriff Kenny Furlong said federal immigration authorities told his office that Martinez-Guzman had been in Carson City for about one year and was in the country illegally.