Overnight, I Lost ~25% of My Lung Capacity

Overnight, I Lost ~25% of My Lung Capacity

Since my Myocardial Infarction (Heart attack) on April 20, 2019, and subsequent open heart surgery for quadruple By-pass of four clogged coronary arteries, I have monitored my lung capacity using a hospital-provided Spirometer, similar to the one pictured above.   PRIOR to my open heart surgery, my lungs had four litre air capacity, with me being able to consistently reach 4000 ml  on the Spirometer.  That changed suddenly overnight.

During the days PRIOR to my open heart surgery, my lungs could draw-in ~4000 ml of air.   AFTER the surgery, my lungs did not want to re-start on their own, causing me to be kept on a ventilator for a full 24 hours after surgery, which allowed the anesthesia to clear out, allowing my lungs to re-start a day later.

But when they re-started, they had so much phlegm which resulted in collapsed lung area, that my lung capacity plummeted from 4,000 ml to about 750 ml.   I was breathing in a panting manner for WEEKS after the surgery.

Slowly but surely, my lung capacity returned back to the 4,000 ml capacity, and has remained at that level consistently for months.

With the coronavirus outbreak, I began measuring my lung capacity again, every day, just to keep track of it.

After my radio show last night, I went to sleep and when I awoke this morning, I was wheezing and congested in my chest.   NO FEVER.

I used the Spirometer to check my lungs and was only able to achieve 3,000 ml of lung capacity.   I have lost about 25% of my lung capacity overnight!

I don't feel "sick" just congested.

So I am taking OTC allergy stuff "Claritan" and mucus-clearing OTC stuff called "Mucinex" and we'll see how that goes.

debi stewart · 2 days ago
    CALL YOUR HEART DR. NOW!!!!!!!!!!
    Wendell Fugitt · 3 days ago
    Try some Elderberry Syrup to make the throat Slippery / expel the mucus easier. also you may want to look at / try usnea tincture. Get Well SOON !!!
      RICHARD KIRKPATRICK · 3 days ago
      Yeah, I can't endorse the elderberry syrup enough. My brother is a doctor and he's the one who turned me on to it. We've been taking it throughout this lockdown insanity and I intend to keep the family on it for quite a while until this subsides. Good luck and good health.
    ykh wong · 3 days ago
    there is something called silent myocardial infarction, in which there is no pain
    if u have no history of asthma or allergic bronchitis, u should seek med advice urgently, sir
    JEFFREY NUNN · 3 days ago
    Sorry to hear this Hal. My wife & I will pray for you. One thing want to mention is about Mucinex. I've had good results with that drug, but had a strange side affect, it makes me a bit wired and have difficulty sleeping.. Last time, I added some Melatonin and that helped. Hopefully you won't have the same issue, but I've read and heard it's fairly common. God bless! Hope you feel better soon.
    Ladygodiva · 3 days ago
    Hal, I definitely agree with Joey Paquette advice. You should get checked out ASAP. My nephew was wheezing for weeks and was incorrectly diagnosed with pneumonia.
    it turned out he had blood clots in his lungs. Do you take any blood thinners?
    Praying for you Hal.
    RealityCheck101 · 3 days ago
    APeX Water adds oxygen to weak oxygen deprived cells to strengthen them to reverse a condition called Hypoxemia.
    RealityCheck101 · 3 days ago
    God bless you, Hal. I'll keep you in my prayers. Get to a doctor you trust.
    Daisygirl · 3 days ago
    Hal, if you are already taking your vitamin supplements, extra vitamin C, extra vitamin D and Zinc and Selenium. I would recommend adding N-acetylcysteine (NAC) to your supplement regimen. It is a precursor to glutathione Which is a major antioxidant. NAC has many uses in the body but one in particular is that it helps to break up mucus in the lungs. It is not expensive. Please look into this supplement. I work in health care. You must stay healthy for all of us!
    Jamie England · 3 days ago
    Hal, I hope you read this. Start taking NAC. It's meant to clear your lungs. Its all natural, cheap and its good for you. Should fix your problem.
    Joey Paquette · 3 days ago
    Hi Hal < I am not a Doctor, but I do have a lung and heart condition. I have had heart failure as well. When you say congested, do you mean, you fell like you have to coughing something up, or is there a gurgling sound when you breath? If it is the gurgling type sound, go to a Doctor immediately, it could be fluid building up in your lungs, or it could even be an infection, like Pneumonia?! I am certainly not trying to scare you sir, but I have had more than my share of Lung problems, and they need to be investigated by a Physician. I was checked several times, and DISCHARGED from hospitals, not being able to breath properly, and being diagnosed later on, with Multiple Blood Clots on every lobe of my Lungs??!! Get checked Hal, for your own safety buddy. God bless you, and thank you for all the News that you bring us!!
    DD7 · 3 days ago
    Maybe this is from wearing a mask? I don't know how often you wear it, but I definitely noticed that when I wore it for several hours the next day I was very congested. Today I ate inside a restaurant and did not wear my mask at all (what a thought). It felt great. I really believe that many people will actually get sick because of wearing masks. They are weakening themselves in preparation for the second wave that's being planned.
    A1776 · 3 days ago
    Hal, maybe you can take preventative HCQ, Vitamin D, Zinc ??
      Deborah Cresswell · 3 days ago
      I agree. Given your "underlying conditions", you should get a prescription for HydroxyChloroQuine and take it as a precaution. Trump did it. Media is blatantly lying and totally fear mongering when they say it will kill you. People have been taking it safely for 60 years, with no adverse side effects. They take it on a regularly scheduled basis in countries subject to malaria. This is why Africa did not have an outbreak, because people take HCQ on a regularly scheduled basis.

40,000 UK Medical Professionals are now taking it as a Preventative Medicine. Call your doctor and request it.

Ladygodiva · 3 days ago
    Hal, go see your cardiologist to make sure you don’t have congested heart failure.
    Wishing you the best.
      Ronald Cordova · 3 days ago
      Yes, it could be CHF. I weigh myself every morning and when I notice my weight up 5 or more pounds, I take Lasix. Fluid retention around the heart and lungs cause wheezing and difficulity breathing.
    selah · 3 days ago
    Hal, stop claiming illness as "yours". rebuke the devil. there are so many scriptures about healing. refuse to accept illness and declare it null and void by the power of Jesus Christ. this is HIS word!
      DD7 · 3 days ago
      I agree. I had a catastrophic cardio event too but I try not to make it a huge part of "my" identity. The better way is to rebuke it, renounce it, accept only healing as provided by Jesus. Of course this can be easier said than done when 'in the flesh', but it's a good goal to focus more on the power of His healing. I take my meds but I don't make it a point to 'join the club' of all the others who have the same condition as me. They live as if it has total control over their lives, and to the degree that they allow it, it does.
      Mike Fisch · 3 days ago
      Yes, God can heal. But everybody dies in the end, don't they? So not everything is healed.
        TSlinger · 3 days ago
        Right. He can if HE wants to. He is not obligated. Anything else is heresy.
          selah · 3 days ago
          Matthew 21:21 Jesus replied, “Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. 22 If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer
            T. Adams · 3 days ago
            1 John 5:14 ¶ And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:
            Key to this is "according to His will" , If whatever your asking is not according to 'His' will it's not happening period.
            On another note, for me total healing will be when I am free from the body of this death.
            Ro 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
              TSlinger · 2 days ago
              Context! Amen bro- cherry picking verses is what kills our witness when they don't mete out to the unbeliever or skeptic. Thank you for this. There are a few verses like this that people use with no understanding of the context, audience, or even time. John 3:16, Philippians 4:13, Jeremiah 29:11, this example- Constantly misused and it makes a guy crazy...
                T. Adams · 2 days ago
                I agree, it annoys the crap out of me too!
            TSlinger · 3 days ago
            I believe. I read, I study, I pray. I don't get what I pray for- adn I ain't talking about personal enrichment. Sometimes bad things happen to me too. Is my faith not strong enough?
              DD7 · 3 days ago
              When you're in this situation, the best thing to do is hand it over to Jesus and ask Him what is going on. A lot of times people try to do things in their own strength which leads to a dead end. He might be trying to teach you to rely on his will & strength instead of your own.
              SRaws · 3 days ago
              There might be a stronghold on you, maybe even a curse or generational curse that's on you... bind it, rebuke it from the root out, and send it away to never return in Yahusha's (Jesus) name. Take authority, that power's been given to you through Yahusha's name.
                TSlinger · 3 days ago
                You sure assume a lot from a very, VERY generic statement in point. I expect tribulations, I'm not afraid of them, I know Who ordains that I go through them. Refinement is not clean, nor is it smooth.
                  SRaws · 2 days ago
                  I don't understand your statement???
                  T. Adams · 3 days ago
                  AMEN!!!! Refiners fire!!
              Mike Fisch · 3 days ago
              We all share in the sufferings of Christ, so that we may rejoice when He comes and His glory is revealed. 1 Peter 4:13
            TSlinger · 3 days ago
            As respectfully as I can say: this is widely understood to be a hyperbolic statmetn about overcoming difficulties, not literal fulfillment. This misuse of the text is approaching that of Philippiand 4:13. And nothing rivals the misuse of John 3:16, but I digress. Promoting this misuse fo the text is a false hope, adn a condmenation to themillions who are afflicted with allkinds aof maladies. Good hermeneutics is our responsibility. A little helper: https://biblehub.com/commentaries/matthew/21-21.htm
              selah · 2 days ago
              so let me ask you. do you believe that God heals through miracles? do you believe that God wants you to be well and heal you? do you believe that God will heal you if you ask for such? your answer is faith based. receive it or don't receive it! i choose to stand on the word of Christ. there is nothing generic about it. James 1:6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.
                TSlinger · 2 days ago
                My opinion- take or leave- is that these are "name it and claim it" heresies, aking to prosperity gospel claims. Kind of in the realm of Joel Osteen, Rick Warren, Bill Hybels kinds of churches. I believe the bigger the church- the bigger the problem with bad theology, relativism, and the above. That's me. Hermeneutics are everything- context, audience, era, proper lexical dissemination. The scripture defines itself- one verse isn't always the be-all, end-all of the message. Translation into English is wonky- you must search the root to effectively disseminate. Sola Scriptura. God does as HE alone wills and chooses because HE alone is sovereign. Our agency does not give us sovereignty in any way- He is not obligated to obey us like some genie in a magic lamp. I take all this with the highest seriousness, not usurping what is not mine. His grace is sufficient.
                  selah · 2 days ago
                  the Word of God is meant to show us the way of life and there’s not a requirement for us to be theologists and completely dissect it and be a professor. anyone who is in Christ is given Godly discernment. use it at your own liking.
                    TSlinger · 1 days ago
                    This is something I wholeheartedly agree with you on. Yet, we are still accountable for proper understanding- and in that we are effective witness- not "selling the unbeliever a false bag of goods". The promises are the promises, but not for all, and not to our liking, else the apostles would not have met such brutal and horrific ends. No, we are not all Paul's, nor are we intended to be else we could never work as a Body. But we can't proclaim what is not ours to proclaim. This is milk. Meat is what feeds the soul. It's not a salvific problem, but one of effective evangelizing. Like when people say "you're life will be so awesome when you except Christ!" Yes...but not in the mind of the unbeliever who may lose his friends, his family, his job, his health, hispossessions- I can speak to this FIRSTHAND. But my life was- and IS- awesome being indwelt by the Spirit through Christ the Lord! All my loss is imeasurable gain!
    Edwin Jimenez · 3 days ago
    Hi Hal. I have long term boarderline COPD. You please need to trust me on this as it comes from real world experience. You need to IMMEDIATELY start taking this particular brand of all natural medical grade Manuka Honey. It’s called: “Steens Raw Manuka Honey. There’s a potency grading system; so you want to take the one that is a “UMF 15+” or higher rating, and can be purchased at Amazon. This amazing product kills over 200 different types of bacteria and WILL minimize, if not eliminate your lung congestion - naturally! I also recommend that you take this other natural product to help combat your lack of breathing; it’s called: “Genexa Allergy-D”, and be purchased through Amazon also. Both of these products take the place of your Claritin wand Muccinex that you’re currently taking...And, WILL work in short order! I’ve been taking these products safely for a while now without any side effects as they are completely natural. Hope you at least give it a good try - They WILL work for your lung condition that you are experiencing...
    Charles Yearwood · 3 days ago
    Hal, best wishes from me and I'll pray for you. I quit smoking 10 years ago so I know what it's like to get short of breath.
    Mike Fisch · 3 days ago
    It might be something they are dumping on us from the air (chemtrails). I have a feeling they might enhance the second wave of coronavirus with some kind of airborne toxin.
    T. Adams · 3 days ago
    I hope Lord willing you will be feeling better soon.When I am sick I like to use Colloidal Silver, It has worked the best in clearing up sinus infections. I spray it up my nose and I also vape it into my lungs.
    Mike Fisch · 3 days ago
    Praying the Lord God will clear that out.