Something is "not right" with my heart surgery

I have been reluctant to talk about this for obvious reasons, but this morning I decided to let all of you know that something is not right with my open heart surgery, done on April 25.

No matter who I talk to about what's going on, the answer is always the same: "It's normal."   Well, it's not normal to me.

What I'm encountering is best described as a failure to heal.  Inside my chest, toward the bottom third of my incision, BEHIND MY RIB CAGE is still painful a full four+ months after the surgery.

It encompasses the area of my diaphragm and about three to four inches around that diaphragm.

To this very moment, if I cough or sneeze, I get substantial pain in that area.  It's as though the healing somehow stopped and that surgical pain is not halting.

To put this in perspective, I am NOT taking any pain meds for it. Not even aspirin, ibuprophen, or tylenol.   It's not a terrible pain and it only happens when I sneeze or cough.  But when it happens, OH BOY!

Personally, I think there is some type of infection taking place, although I have no redness outside, no tenderness to external touch, and no fever or sweats.   I'm thinking fungal.

But the docs all tell me the same thing: It will get better, you just need more time.   Well, I think that's bullshit.  The rest of me healed.  I have no pain anywhere else.  Why is this particular area still painful?

I mean, for goodness sake, other than traumatic BRAIN injury, I do not know of any part of the human body that takes four+ months to heal.

So I'm in a quandary.   I feel that something is wrong, the docs say it's normal and I think it isn't.  What to do?

Jeffrey L Ottle · 9 days ago
    Prayer up for you Hal from me. It seems to me healing can indeed take a while longer, longer than 4 months. I have friends here in the community I live in who had roatation cup surgery for example, on their shoulder or both shoulders. A year is what it took for full recovery and cessation of painful discomfort. And, that's just shoulder surgery. I was considered for rotation cup surgery too, and the specialist doctor explained to me that if I haf that surgery it would be a year to fully heal. For other reasons, this surgery for me did not take place, but the point is I was told a year for full healing.
    gary boyd · 9 days ago
    From Pastor Gary Boyd: PRAYER FOR HEALING (Have one other friend pray with you)
    Dear God,
    I am humbled at who You are. You are the God who heals not only physically but also spiritually. You are the only One who can purify the soul. I thank you that no matter what kind of pain I experience in this life, I can be assured that my soul is healed forever in You. Because of Your healing I can come boldly to you now in prayer, and I can trust in the life you have given me to live on this earth because you are with me and the Holy Spirit resides in me. I pray for healing for myself and for all those who trust in you and question their suffering. Lord, give us clarity in our suffering that even though we might not understand why, we can understand how we will get through it. Help me to understand that every footstep I take is with you by my side. Holy Spirit convict me to draw closer to you when I am uncertain about the whys of life, and Jesus help me to find rest and peace in you when I feel forgotten. I know that You have not forgotten me, and I know that at the proper time, whether in this life or the next, you will grant me physical healing in addition to the spiritual healing I am so grateful for. For Your Word tells me that You will wipe away every tear and that one day there will be no more death, grief, or pain. I am thankful for each day You have given me, for You are with me wherever I go and whatever I go through. My hope is in You always.
    In Your glorious name Jesus, Amen.
    Christian Walker · 9 days ago
    Your chest was literally cracked open like a egg. You need more than 4 months to fully heal from Open Heart Surgery... I had an avulsion fracture, took 6 months to fully recover post surgery. I still live with discomfort
    Bonnie Mostyn · 9 days ago
    Hal, I'm so sorry to hear that you are still not healing as you should. Please know that I am praying for you. You are certainly needed and important to your family and to those of us who value this website. I would take the advice of many people here and try the natural solutions they have told you about. I would certainly go the natural way to fight whatever it is first. You are already doing well by not taking any aspirin, tylenol, or ibuprofen for the pain. I have used oil of oregano for lots of problems and it sure took care of them. I, also, have Sovereign Silver here to for use. That can also be obtained from the healthrangerstore.com You certainly need to do something as I believe your instincts that you have something wrong is correct!!! You know your body better than any of those doctors for sure.
    Russell Owen · 9 days ago
    Hal, I forgot. Juicing organic veggies will give the body the nutrients it needs to heal itself. As with most Americans, our health problems come from the garbage food we put in our mouths. Don't eat GMO's and about 90 % of the crap in the grocery stores.
    BriteRed · 9 days ago
    Praying for you Hal ............ geeez, I keep thinkin' yer on the edge of saying the wrong thing about the wrong people , you are in a precarious position . . . check your doctors and staff well..........May the Lord watch over you.
    Russell Owen · 9 days ago
    Hal, Colloidal silver is the strongest antibiotic known to man, it even cures anthrax. I have not been to a doctor in 35 years (not that I haven't had problems), and have run without health insurance for the same. The silver helped immensely. Think of the money saved. Anyway, the probably best colloidal silver to be had is from www.purestcolloidals.com or call them at 866.233.4633. I am not affiliated with them at all. Quayle advertised them on his home page for awhile.

The problem with colloidal silver is that when it is drank in a decent quantity, it gets into the lower gut and kills the good bacteria along with the bad. Just like all antibiotics. So you can do one of two things to avoid that from happening (or both). Put the colloidal silver in a nasal sprayer and sniff real regular for a long time, or take about a quarter teaspoon of the colloidal, when thirsty and regularly so the body absorbs the colloidal water before it reaches the lower gut.

Colloidal silver has no adverse effects on the body, other than mentioned above. And the medical cartel in this country is just like the government cartel. Can't trust none of them. Good luck and thanks for what you do.

Russell, Michigan
    Lloyd Barker · 9 days ago
    Hal, I think everyone here is praying for you. No, something is wrong and yes, most of these people recommending alternative approaches are smart folk. It literally, though, could be a simple lack of nutrition or blood flow (not of the serious kind, but capillary) preventing membranes and connective tissue form forming quickly. That can be caused from inflammation and you got ripped open. Don't panic but certainly get a full work up. You got some good advice on here regarding the Mayo Clinic and other places. Take it and take care of yourself. Everyone will understand if you need to take a leave of absence. I'll state furthermore that most of us here consider you extended family. May God bless you and lead you to the right people. Refuah shleima!
    Beyerlm · 9 days ago
    Have they done any imaging? CT, MRI.. Could show an abscess or something. ?
    john myers · 9 days ago
    I do lift you to the only God for wisdom in remedies. I take mms which is Clo2 daily. the taste is not pleasant yet it works on infections and numerous other items.
    Linda Schofield · 10 days ago
    Praying for you Hal. Get a second and third opinion. Take care of yourself. You are one of the few who speak truth! Your family needs you and the world needs you!
    Suzanne Doller · 10 days ago
    If you think it's fungal, Caprilic Acid in Coconut oil or MCT oil can treat it naturally. Can't hurt
    Suzanne Doller · 10 days ago
    Start taking large doses of Ali--C ( Alicin C). It is the only natural product proven to kill MRSA and other hospital infections. You can buy it on the Rense website, and no, i don't sell it. Wish I did.
    You probably have a nosocomial wound infection and you don't want it to invade your sternum . If you catch it early you can avoid a PICC line and IV vancomycin for 6 weeks
    Mike Fisch · 10 days ago
    Sorry to hear about that. Personally I would try some of these alternative healing protocols mentioned in the comments.
    Rhoda Bontrager · 10 days ago
    My aunt is in the health field & she says something’s not right. Could be inflammation &/or infection of of the pericardium which is common after heart surgery. Needs to be checked out.
      Rhoda Bontrager · 10 days ago
      My father-in-law had 3 bypasses & a valve replaced & aneurism fixed by open heart surgery the first part of June & he says he does not have that type of pain when he coughs or sneezes.
    Brent Stam · 10 days ago
    Mayo. If they cannot figure it out, more then likely no one will. A physical takes 1-2 days head to toe. You see a specialist in the one field then they send you to the next specialist. Also every specialist you see two MDs examine you, first a intern/fellow then the certified MD in the field. You get back to your hotel 1 hr later the preliminary exam note is in the chart. It’s quit the experience in a good way. Rochester Minnesota is a very nice town, etiquette is incredible throughout the town fast food to gas stations.
    Diagnosed me correctly after requesting a 2nd opinion from a specialist at a regular hospital/clinic.
    Golf Romeo Romeo · 10 days ago
    I’m not a doctor. Many comments here are good. You might actually have something wrong.
    Your body and mind went thru a tremendous situation. Your adrenals were forced into a “do or die” response. It takes time for your body to readjust. Doctors and so-called friends might lead you to take this or that substance to “calm” your nerves or dull the pain.
    Both body and mind must be addressed.
    Your nervous system might have developed a hyperalertness to pain. Pain in one location can sometimes be relieved by changing the body’s focus to another sensation. Like scratching your back. Or go out to the cabin for a while.
    You will make it.
    Linda Monk · 10 days ago
    Mr. Turner,My father was a very smart man and he always told me if you do not like what one doctor tells you ,find another.My father died several years ago at Kaiser in California and to this day I blame the doctors for his death.His health was great and I spoke with him on Thanksgiving morning.Later that day he would go to a restaurant to have dinner with a lady friend.While there having dinner he suddenly developed severe stomach pains and was rushed to hospital.After examining him doctors diagnosed him as having kidney stones and treated him for that.The next morning my dads heart stopped and they were able to start it beating again.However his organs began failing one by one.I arrived the next morning from texas but they had him on so many pain killers he could not respond or open his eyes.He died a few hours later.He did not die from kidney stones but we were told he died from an infection which I later found out can kill someone withen hours.He died from a sepsis infection but did not receive life saving antibiotics because he was missdiagnosed from the beginning.Doctors ASSUMED it was kidney stones because it was in his past charts.
    Edwin Jimenez · 10 days ago
    I would immediately setup an appointment to go to Hackensack Hospital as it’s one of the best places in the area (I know as I used to live for many years in the area and took my father for his heart condition there). .And, in the meantime I would IMMEDIATELY start taking the following natural remedies from AMAZON below. (They are the best at fighting any type of infection - even fungal infections which is probably not letting your body heal..Take each one of them - 3 times per day. If it’s anything infectious, these will stop it in very short order. Hope this helps as it has with me any many people I know. Just Google the benefits of each...you’ll see...

Manuka Health - MGO 550+ Manuka Honey, 100% Pure New Zealand Honey, 8.8 Ounces https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ZM6BME/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_gTqDDb9HX926F

Natural Factors, Certified Organic Oil of Oregano Liquid, Helps Maintain Good Health with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 2 oz (374 servings) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EDJN4KM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_LXqDDbY1722RX

Dr. Mercola Liposomal Vitamin C 1,000mg per Serving - 180 Capsules - 90 Servings - Antioxidant Supplement with Higher Bioavailability Potential & Immune System Support https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JFF48I6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_MYqDDbP2FGY97
      Jill Hart · 10 days ago
      I have personally experienced oil of oregano knocking out pneumonia. The serious kind you get from the hospital that is resistant to most anti biotics. It is hard to swallow plain and you need to take a lot of it...like a tablespoon at a time. Personally I stick it in frozen cold peppermint schnapps tablespoon oil of oregano tablespoon of schnapps. You need the alcohol to cut the burn. All of the other recommendations are good too. We have been so trained to look to doctors for pharmaceutical solutions that we have stopped using the time tested remedies. Perhaps you could insist on a biopsy of the tissue in the area where you had surgery. That could are least confirm an infection or reassure you that one does not exist. Doctors are people who have training in a certain field they did not all make straight As and they are not gods. ( though I have met some who think they are) everyone is responsible for their own health. Research what is going on and then use the doctor as a resource. Make sure you get copies of all the tests they have run all the xray or scans done and the surgery notes. Then go look up anything you don't understand. It is work and they might balk but you paid for that information. I have found most medical people are willing to put the info on a disc for you though. And some have a portal where all of the information is available.