My Heart Surgery Incision Developed a HOLE in it this morning

As you know, about 6 weeks ago, on April 25, I underwent open heart surgery at Englewood Hospital and Medical Center in New Jersey.  The surgery installed quadruple bypass grafts for four clogged coronary arteries.

I've been sore, but recovering without incident - until this morning.   Today, there's a small HOLE in the main incision - puss came out.

It's not a deep hole; you cannot see into my chest cavity.  No visible heart or lungs!   But there's a definite hole on the surface of the incision.

I do not have a fever.  No vomiting or diarrhea.  No pain from my heart or lungs.  I'm not feeling sick, or weak, or dizzy.  No major pain or swelling; just the typical soreness from the Sternum bone that has been trying to heal after they cut into my chest.

I have no idea at all how or why this main incision along my sternum is opening up.

I called Englewood Hospital at 5:25 AM and they paged the on-call Thorasic surgery person who told me I have to come in.

Great.   Here we go.  More hospital.

I do not believe I will be admitted, and in fact, I will OPPOSE being admitted.   Hospital is like prison and having been in both, I wish to avoid both at all costs.

I'll keep you posted.

UPDATE 11:24 AM EDT --

I'm home from the hospital.   The hole in my cardiac incision occurred because . . . ready for this . . . my body is rejecting and attacking the internal stitches used during surgery.

The Doc pulled fragments of an internal stitch from the hole that developed this morning.  This fragment was one of the internal stitches that held my INTERNAL chest wall closed after surgery.

Then she looked farther down the main incision and found three or four more Internal stitches that are being rejected/attacked and pushed out of my body.  She took them out too.

The internal stitches are a type which is "dissolvable."  After a certain period of time, the stitch dissolves and is cleared from our bodies the way any other debris is cleared.

As the stitch dissolves, it releases whatever tissue it was previously holding together, which has already taken place inside me.  That internal tissue is mostly healed.

But portions of some of the stitches haven't fully dissolved . . . so my immune system is treating those segments as foreign invaders and attacking them.

They gave me Keflex antibiotic to be on the safe side, told me to bathe the incision more frequently and gave me Betadyne swabs to coat the wound twice a day.

I am to take the Keflex (500 mg) FOUR TIMES A DAY for ten days and if any further holes develop, I have to go right back to the Hospital that same day.   If this persists, they may have to culture the puss to see if something else is at play here.

Other than that, hopefully this will pass as the remaining fragments of internal stitches continue to dissolve and go away.  We hope.

Debra Matus · 3 months ago
    Hal, a couple of suggestions from a RN and a Christian. Get with your Doc on changing your diet. Also, read the Gospels everyday, then ask God to balance those emotions! Praying for you!
    Hal
    God has a place for all our repentant souls in his kingdom, l pray he keeps you safe and healed in this Earthly one for these times, your needed as a most valued watchman.
    Gifford Rodine · 3 months ago
    A little sarcasm: Maybe the person doing the stitches voted for hillary, and they must wanted out. Don't laugh, you know that hurts!
    Michele Schauer · 3 months ago
    I'm going to change my statement. I have no certainty of anything except that based on what you told us, there is an inflammatory condition and not an infection developing. The bastards are always looking for ways to attack and I'm not going to give it to them. Hope you feel better Hal.
    Michele Schauer · 3 months ago
    How common is this? No infection but a reaction to the foreign material. It is certainly developing an inflammatory condition and as a Chiropractic Doctor....inflammation near the heart.....
    they have given you antibiotic for infection but no anti inflammatory...why? I am not diagnosing you, just going off what you said and what I know.
    BriteRed · 3 months ago
    God Bless Hal.....Praying for you
    Grim · 3 months ago
    While any post-op infection is never a good thing, the fact that it was something relatively minor and not a life threatening issue such as a MRSA or Candida-auris infection, is great news. Hope you recover quickly Hal!
    Golf Romeo Romeo · 3 months ago
    You are in our prayers. Give a call to Ted Broer in FL. He might have a few suggestions.
    Matthew Worner · 3 months ago
    Thank the Almighty they didn't hit you with a fluoroquinolone antibiotic. My wife took a prescribed dose of Levaquin for four pills and has interstitial lung disease based on a wild ass guess that she might have pneumonia that was bacterial. The doctors will not admit that the drug could have caused this although over ten thousand members of the support group on Facebook are suffering or living with someone suffering similar condition after taking one of the drugs. All they will say is that the drug is out of your system very rapidly to which I respond so is a .30 caliber full metal jacket. Ignorant, lying bastards as a whole, slaves to big pharma. My wife has serious connective tissue issues, had over fifty pounds shed away and coughs constantly. The black box warning specifically says not for patients over 60 but the brainless "health professional" prescribed the pharma poison when she was 72. Forget the "new math"; I'll stick with the old.
    Jeffrey L Ottle · 3 months ago
    OK Hal, sure grateful for you for this outcome. Prayer continuing for you.
    Joey Paquette · 3 months ago
    I will be keeping you in prayer Hal, sorry to hear that?!! Hope all works out well!
    Jane Gilmore5101 A · 3 months ago
    It's no fun to go back to the hospital! Praying. Thanks for all you do.

Jane
    Chip Evans · 3 months ago
    Sorry to hear this Hal. I am/have been praying for you. We need you! We appreciate you!
    Maria Kneas · 3 months ago
    Please keep Hal in your prayers. And his family.
    Gifford Rodine · 3 months ago
    Out best positive thoughts are for your complete recovery. Many thanks for your service in this endeavour.
    Charles g Hawley · 3 months ago
    Sorry to hear about the relapse Hal, will keep you in prayer this morning. Chip
    Carol Draper · 3 months ago
    Praying for you this morning.